Wednesday, April 13, 2022

A long introduction

 'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife''

   How disappointed would Jane Austen be knowing that pretty much nothing has changed 200+ years after her masterpiece was written. In this day and age, women are assumed to be in want of marriage, no matter the fortune they possess. It doesn't matter if you have studied or not, it doesn't matter if you have travelled the word or not, it doesn't matter if you just left your family house and can barely cook or operate a washing machine. The minute you hit 25, you are assumed to be ready to throw yourself out there and find yourself a partner. Men, well. No matter the fortune they possess, they will always have a choice of when, where and how.

   In my case ladies, gentlemen and everything else in between, at the beautiful age of 30, i am supposed to already be married with at least 2 children. My mother, bless her heart, keeps hinting things like ''your cousin is getting married next month. You know. the young one''. Or ''i saw your classmate yesterday while shopping. She was holding her beautiful baby''. It doesn't matter how many times i tell her that having a family is not something i want to do in this life, she just keeps hoping that one day i will call her to announce that i am engaged to be married and ready to pop a couple of little ones.

   Now, don't get me wrong, having a family is nice and all but it's just not for me. Never was. I never pictured myself walking down the aisle or holding children, i was never anxious about time flying by while i stayed single, gorgeous and living alone. That was my dream ever since i was little. Coming from a family of 6, all living together in the same house and from a society that thinks it's absolutely normal for someone to stay in their family house till the age of 40, having my own place and live a quiet life, was all i ever wanted. And i did it. One day i packed my bags and flew to England leaving everything and everyone behind.

   Am i living the ''sex & the city'' type of life? The glam, the career, the sex, the shoes? Absolutely not. I moved here to work with people in need and that's what i've been doing for the past 3 years. More details on the subject of ''work'' will follow on another post. Whenever i think about my current situation though, i can't help but feel proud of myself for being able to detach myself from a toxic reality and move on to an independent life. I have my flat, my job, endless amount of chocolate and coffee... what more can a girl ask for? 

  Am i happy you ask? Generally, i would say yes. The last couple of years haven't been good for anyone and i am not an exception to the rule. I lost people i deeply cared about and i managed to see my family only for a few days but im getting there. Slowly but surely. I have good support from good friends and i build memories that i will ''feed'' on for the next few years. Do i crave affection from a partner? Sure.I sometimes look around and can't help but feel jealous of couples smiling at each other while having coffee and sharing cake.
-Then why don't you go out and meet someone, lady?, you might be wondering.
Should we talk about it next time?

See you soon
J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dream a little, dream of me

I'm scared of the night, my love. I'm  scared of falling asleep because  i know I will dream of you. I will wake up crying, devastat...